Absolutely amazing program I highly recommend it for all people aiming to improve their quality of life, they are incredibly flexible, hands on, and provide phenomenal service! The eight most common skills for help desk engineers in 2023 based on resume usage. The VPN is designed to protect one’s system and network from being compromised. Also, keep in mind that some people must wait a long time to talk with you.
“Take advantage of your relationship with other departments in the IT sphere,” she urges. “Being in a help desk [role] is a good way to view what other, more intense positions do within the IT field.” It also gives you a chance to either choose to delve further or make a career move elsewhere, Lewis adds. He explains that these https://remotemode.net/ abilities will provide great value to you and your organization throughout the entirety of your career. Hardware and software change, but your ability to communicate effectively and think critically does not. Help desk work is an excellent place to refine the soft skills that will serve you well as you progress in your career.
Best colleges and majors for help desk engineers
Tech professionals need to stay current with the latest trends and technologies. Following the activity of industry leaders on social media or YouTube can be an effective way to keep up-to-date. This practice can help you discover in-demand skills employers are currently interested in. You can also join relevant communities and forums to connect with other professionals in your industry.
Desktop support specialists tend to make the most money working in the finance industry, where they earn an average salary of $53,933. In contrast, help desk engineers make the biggest average salary, help desk engineer $67,498, in the finance industry. The courses in software development at Herzing University prepare you for this type of work and put you on the fast track to your next job in software development.
Top 10 easy-to-apply-to universities for help desk engineers
This is also a job where you might have some down time, which if utilized productively can prove to be a great time to study for certifications or read up on what you don’t quite understand. This is exactly what I did 20 years ago, and it helped me get to the next step. The Information Technology field is one of the most rewarding and challenging career fields in the world today.
- A senior infrastructure engineer specializes in designing and developing systems and infrastructures based on client preferences and industry standards.
- After you find the help desk engineer skills you need, you can them to your resume using an AI resume builder.
- He explains that these abilities will provide great value to you and your organization throughout the entirety of your career.
- Those interested in working in IT can get their start as a help desk technician before acquiring the skills to pursue more specialized roles.
- One of the drivers of that growth came from the knowledge contained in the system guiding her IT department.
- Whether you want to stay at the help desk or move on to a new role, you will need to develop all these characteristics.